Nov 8 2012 by Michael Pringle, Airdrie & Coatbridge Advertiser
An unemployed thug was jailed for a vicious attack on two Airdrie Jobcentre workers after he was told his benefits were being stopped.
Samuel Napier punched one member of staff and left him with a suspected broken nose during an interview at the busy Stirling Street office.
The yob then attacked another man who came to the aid of his colleague during the fracas.
Napier pled guilty to the offence and was locked up for four months.
His victim, a 54-year-old civil servant, was taken to Monklands Hospital with a suspected broken nose following the attack last month.
A source told the Advertiser: “The guy was told that his money was being stopped and went berserk; he knocked the Jobcentre worker right off his chair.”
A 23-year-old colleague of the victim was also hit when he attempted to intervene and prevent his co-worker from being injured further during the assault.
Other members of staff rushed to help the injured man and stop the attack on the two employees.
Napier was cautioned and charged by police officers and appeared at Airdrie Sheriff Court the following day.
The 29 year old was then sentenced to the stretch behind bars after admitting the offence.
A spokesman for the Department of Work and Pensions said they made their staff aware of the risk of attack and took precautions to protect them.
She added: “We already have security measures in place in Jobcentres for the benefit of both our staff and members of the public.
“Staff are given training on how to deal with difficult situations when they arise, and we are not aware of any rise in these types of incidents.
“We can confirm that an incident took place at Airdrie Jobcentre, and that we take the safety of our staff very seriously.”