Feb 15 2012 by Michael Pringle, Airdrie & Coatbridge
THE mother of a teenage victim of a horrific machete attack has called for tougher sentences to tackle Scotland’s blade culture.
Last Friday her 18-year-old son was rushed to Monklands Hospital following an attack in Dunbeth Park, Coatbridge, and required surgery to his left wrist, with almost 40 stitches being inserted in the wound.
The 42-year-old woman from the Sunnyside area of the town said: “I want these people brought to justice. This weekend someone else could be walking through the park and end up dead.
“The situation with knives is getting right out of hand – there should be tougher sentences. The people who carry them don’t realise the damage it causes to the victims and their families.”
The teenager had been walking through the park with a friend between 10pm and 11pm when they were approached by a group, one of whom carried out the blade attack.
The teen’s worried mum told the Advertiser: “He is not really one for going out much. He was with his pal visiting another friend and they took a short cut through the park as they walked home.
“They were approached by three men and one of them had a machete. I haven’t been able to sleep since it happened, knowing that these people are out there.”
The victim’s mum is appealing for the public’s help in tracing her son’s attackers. She continued: “Someone must know who it was that has carried out this attack.”
Police have issued a description of the three men. The first suspect is described only as wearing black clothing. He was accompanied by two others, one was also described as being dressed in black while the other man was described as being aged 20 to 25 with red hair, wearing a grey tracksuit with blue stripes and black trainers.
Anyone with information should contact Coatbridge police on 01236 502000 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.