Sep 28 2011 by Colin Paterson, Airdrie & Coatbridge
RICKY BURNS hopes it will be a November to remember after his WBO lightweight title fight with Michael Katsidis was confirmed.
The pride of Monklands will take on the Australian at the Wembley Arena on Saturday, November 5.
The 28-year-old has relinquished the WBO super-featherweight belt he won in September last year to have a crack at the vacant championship.
However, Burns faces stiff opposition in Queenslander Katsidis who has won 28 of his 32 fights as a professional.
“People have already started to write me off before I’ve even thrown a punch,” said Burns at a press conference in London last Thursday.
“But that doesn’t really bother me because I’m used to being the underdog.
“I know this will be a tough fight because Katsidis is a good boxer.”
Burns had wanted the showdown with the Aussie to be held at the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow.
However, fight promoters have opted for the Wembley venue which boasts a capacity of more than 12,000.
“If I’m being honest,” Burns added, “I would have preferred the Kelvin Hall because it has a great atmosphere with the Glasgow crowd behind you.
“But I really just want to get in the ring.”
Burns’ manager Alex Morrison said: “We’ve still to find out how many more fighters will be on the bill but I think it will be a great night for Ricky and his fans.”