Sep 21 2011 by Colin Paterson, Airdrie & Coatbridge
RICKY BURNS is on the verge of relinquishing his WBO super-featherweight title belt – to fight for the vacant lightweight championship instead.
Reports suggest the 28-year-old looks set to face Aussie Michael Katsidis at the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow in November.
Burns won the super-featherweight belt in September last year after dethroning reigning champion Roman Martinez.
He has successfully defended his title three times against Andreas Evensen, Joseph Laryea and Nicky Cook.
A showdown with rising star Adrien Broner of the United States in Cincinnati, Ohio, had been widely anticipated.
However, the Kirkwood ace’s manager, Alex Morrison, says that bout has been scrapped and a fight with Katsidis is on the cards.
Morrison believes Burns, who is appearing at a major press conference in London on Thursday, is making the right decision and is confident he can win a second world crown.
“Ricky was concerned that people would think he was ducking out of a fight with Bronier,” he said.
“But that is certainly not the case because he has the heart of a lion.
“This is a wise move on his part in my view. It makes sense as the extra five pounds will make a huge difference.
“I genuinely believe that Ricky is capable of winning a second world title.”
Burns has been sparring with Paul Appleby and Gavin Rees in the past few weeks as they get ready for title fights at the end of the month.